Thursday, July 17, 2014

Weakness

When it comes to CrossFit I have several weaknesses. In order for my strengths to mean ANYTHING I need to improve my main weakness.

My main weakness is that I am weak.

Specifically my max lifts are low. This means that when I am doing a metcon with any kind of weight whatsoever I REALLY get gassed in a hurry.

Today's workout is a perfect example.


10 minute AMRAP: 60 bar facing burpees, 30 overhead squats, 10 muscle ups.

On paper this is my kind of workout. The major problem is when you see the weight for the overhead squats. 120 lbs!

Yeah...that is more than my max.

I can hang with anybody through 60 bar facing burpees. I did that in just over 4 minutes. By the time I picked up the bar and did 10 OHS I was gassed. Truth be told I was only using 75 lbs. I fought though the OHS and had plenty of time for the muscle ups. I was so tired that I only got 3 and quit with a minute remaining.

That is totally unacceptable.

I'm trying to make it to the CrossFit Games not survive a workout. Today I can do neither.

My first challenge is going to be to build strength. I will never C&J 300 lbs. I will never deadlift 400 lbs. That is OK! I will build as much strength as I can while being same and enhancing my metbolic conditioning.

Everyday I feel better and better about what I am doing. Everyday I feel more confident that in July of 2015 I will be in California competing at the CrossFit Games.
Today I did 3 workouts before 10am. I usually don't like to lump them like that but that is just the way it worked out.

I started with a 2 mile trail run at 7am. It was a look that I usually do. Took me 14:30ish which is about 15 seconds slower than my best.

My second workout was a max push-press where I set a PR or 165. This is a good milestone for me because that is my body weight. I also found out another challenge that I have. To do my max front squat I used every weight in the gym. Crap.

Next time I am going to need to hang kettlebells off the bar. Are you kidding me?

I did 215 lbs comfortably which is not a lot but its something.

I will improve each and every week. I will be ready for the open. Try and stop me....












Rick Copley, Your Best Fitness Coach 
"Empowering YOU to be a champion
rick@yourbestfitnesscoach.com
352-989-6795

No comments:

Post a Comment