Saturday, July 19, 2014

CrossFit is a pain in the neck....

Let me give you a little history behind my neck and back issues.

If you read my first post in this new blog (CLICK HERE TO READ) then you know that I have a back issue. Back issue's almost always lead to neck issue and vice versa.

For me the issues started about 10 years ago.



One day I was running and my lower back started hurting.

It's hurt everyday since.

I have been to the chiropractor a million times. I've even had a MRI and x-rays. Turns out I have a hind of scoliosis. I've kept working out and not let it affect me.

It's just an excuse after all.

By and large my neck was never an issue and the back pain was never that back. It was always more of an annoyance.

But now I am getting older....

4 years ago I crashed by bike. It wasn't that bad. It was at mile 50 of a 110 mile long summer suffer fest. I was sore from road rash but nothing else really.

Except a little bit of a sore neck .

I actually did the Ironman with my neck sore but not a lot of pain. Then a week after the Ironman I did a triathlon in some cold water. I was real stiff swimming and my neck felt wrong. I few days later I couldn't turn my head. I suffered for a couple of weeks with this until it started feeling a little better.

I hurt my back a couple fo years ago swinging a 85 pound kettlebell in the sand. I was limping around few a for a week after that.

A few months back I hurt my neck simply by self adjusting (you know, "cracking" my neck). So stupid. I was in agony for days. Not long after that got better I hurt my back and didn't workout for 10 days. Just as I was getting better I did it again and missed another week.

My back / neck problem is serious and I need to treat it as such.

Right now my neck hurt a lot. I will rest the rest of today and tomorrow 100%. No worries. It's minor.

Thank God.

Today's workout was devastating. I am going to try and do a longer workout once or two days a week to stretch my endurance. Today was just such a workout.

"100 minute Burpee Challenge"

Each ten minute segment you do as many burpees as you can... AFTER you do 100 repetitions of an exercise of your choice. There were 12 to choose from. There was not rest so you had to program your own. I ended up with 321 burpees. Teresa had 283 and our friend Gidget did it also and had 183. I didn't have any zeros. Gidget had 3 and Teresa had 1. It was a tough workout.

Here is how I did the workout:

Minutes 0-10: Bar push-press (75 lbs) then 15 burpees. (Took the last minute to strategically rest.)
Minutes 10-20: Double unders then 55 burpees.
Minutes 20-30: Box jumps (24 inches) then 10 burpees. 
Minutes 30-40: Dips (20 regular then the rest on a bench. There was just no way...) then 25 burpees.
Minutes 40-50: 1000 meters rowing then 35 burpees. 
Minutes 50-60: Lunge walk then 45 burpees.
Minutes 60-70: Tabletops then 60 burpees.
Minutes 70-80: Goblet squats (50 lbs) then 20 burpees.
Minutes 80-90: Sit-ups then 24 burpees.
Minutes 90-100: SDHP then 34 burpees. 

By the way, the two exercises that I chose not to do were dead lifts and swings. Turns out that was smart. Teresa tried dead lifts and didn't get through them....

Just typing it out makes me tired. We were WIPED after we finished. Didn't help that it was outside in the typical Florida summer day.

We survived and it was truly EPIC. 

Tomorrow I rest. Next week we are wokring on cleans and overhead squats. We also get to self teach doing some handstand push-ups. If it were up to me we would next do those. Blah.

Hope you have a great weekend. Rock on my friends! 



No comments:

Post a Comment