Friday, July 25, 2014

The power of the second workout


We did 2 of the 2014 CrossFit Games Master's workouts today.

With the 105 degree heat index it was brutal.

Workout #1: 400m run / 2 legless rope climbs ~ 5 rounds. Our rope isn't as high as the one at the games so I did mine starting from a seated position. I have to be brutally honest. I did the first 3 rounds fine. Climb number 2 on round 4 I had to start from a standing position. The last 2 climbs in round 5 same thing.


I am going to claim Rx because I didn't have chalk and those dudes at the games did. My time was 14:55. (1:05 under the time cap) The times from the games for the 40-44 masters were..

1st - 9:52
5th - 10:08
10th - 10:21
15th - 11:23
20th - Over 16 minute time cap.

I would have been 20th. Not a great showing. I gave it my best effort and I feel good about doing more legless rope climbs in one workout then I have ever done....ever.

So here is where things get interesting. While I was doing the "Run rope" workout Teresa was doing the "Out and back" workout; also a masters workout from this years games. 

For second workout we both did the "out and back". She improved her time from 27:43 to 24:14. Three minutes with less than 2 hours rest? Crazy. 

My time would have placed me 15th at the CrossFit games masters 40-44 division. This is a good results for me. Boom! 16:40 was my time. Here are the actual results for various places...

1st - 12:36
10th - 15:19
15th - 16:45

I really do feel pretty good about this especially considering the heat and the fact that it was my second workout of the day. It was mostly functional body weight stuff so it was right in my wheelhouse. I tried to stay as close to the CrossFit standards as I could. Here is the workout:

50 box jumps
25 toe to bar
50 wall ball
25 ring dips
50 wall ball
25 toe to bar
50 wall ball
50 box jumps 

It was a tough 16 minute for sure.

Both Teresa and I performed a lot better and felt a lot better on our second workout of the day. Why is that?

honestly your guess is as good as mine. The point here is that if you want to get strength and you want to get better then get to work. You don't need all that rest. Just do work and you will get better. 


This also goes to show that warming up with some HARD exercise is important. 

It's been a hard week and I really did need a good workout to boost my confidence. Done. 

I feel really good about the way my conditioning is coming. I need a lot of time to get ready so I am happy that I have it.

I can't wait to watch the Individuals when they release the videos. How about the "triple 3" workout? 3000m row, 300 double unders, 3 mile run. Sounds like my kind of party. I'm sure I will be doing that one soon....

I am looking for some individual and business sponsors. Please email me if you or someone you know is interested in joining our team as we train for the 2015 CrossFit Games.... 



No comments:

Post a Comment